I wanted to have some wider river sections and an open body of water so the little boats I'm making could have room to manouvre. I decided to have enough to go across or along the table. I needed enough width for two boats to pass each other and settled on 9" wide sections. The 9" inch width will also suit my Reiver castings pontoon bridge which I haven't painted yet.
For the sections I used some acrylic glazing sheet from the local DIY store. This is awkward stuff to cut curves in (!"£$%^&* and other similar words were uttered) , so eventually I managed to get two slightly curved sections and the rest in straight sections; the left over piece I cut to form a lakelet to join with the other sections. I spray painted the back of the sections with mid-brown at the edges and a mid-blue down the middle. The acrylic sheet is quite reflective, but it does the job for me.
So below shows a few sections setup across the gaming table ...
The lakelet and some sections along the length of the table ...
A closeup of the first of my little boats to be finished.
Line-side buildings (2) ... mostly roofs
3 days ago