Friday 14 January 2022

Rivers Sections - making a couple of wiggles...

One thing missing from my river sections are some wiggles or bendy sections. ...

First up was to check on what I had already... enough to get me halfway across the gaming table...

I worked out that a couple of 12" sections would be enough for most game scenarios to go straight across the gaming table or across the table at about 45 degrees...; bases cut out of mdf and a piece of plastic packaging cut to stick on the top to give me a smooth finish to paint on...
the two new sections then have river banks added using cork tile with some wood filler to fill in any gaps..
painted up to match my existing sections, with 5 coats of gloss varnish...;  setup across the table - result

What colour is water ?  Blue/green or grey or brown (and reflective) .....I've gone for a brown river bed and low clear water. It's too brown ?   I'm trying to find the right colour and way to apply it - at least I have all the sections I need for games - any change can be applied to all.   [It doesn't help my extra wide home-made river sections are a very reflective blue, these will have to match as well  😕 ]

4 comments:

Khusru said...

As long as you recognise it as water it doesn't really matter on the colour. Sometimes it will depend on the local soil colour. With mine, I went for a blue/green mixture with I think looks nice.

tradgardmastare said...

I enjoyed seeing your river making process, most effective. It will be interesting to see what colour you decide upon in the end.

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

Looking good !

Gallia said...

The curvy nature looks very good. Color temporarily depends on soil particles in the river after a big rain. And from a helicopter view too. I think it might appear blue or clear depending on the angle of the viewer and distance from it. Mine are blue. Chuck The Lucky's are blue with hints of green. In Alaska (not germane I know) rivers draining from the mountains are grey from glacier erosion but appear clear from a long distance. In Texas one river is called Red River. Maybe that is because of the red brown soil in parts of Texas. Then there are model R/R chaps who buy a resin? material they pour/layer onto a river that is clear. This gives depth and shows off stuff on the bottom, tires, trees, etc. Your new rivers look very good. Respectfully, Bill P.