Wednesday, 4 May 2011

New Roofs for Old ...

I've been sorting out my larger buildings that I use with my 40mm figs.  The existing buildings have had new bases if needed and a touchin. I have bought some new buildings from Total System Scenic, which I have assembled and these will be painted up later. Looking at my church and barn, the roofs lacked some detail - they are made from cardboard and covered with 'tiled' paper sheets, piccy below showing barn and church.
I cut up some thick card to represent tiles and spent some time sticking them on one at a time. I thought it would be a tedious job, but it got to be fun as it was like doing a jigsaw puzzle in some ways (or perhaps it was the fumes from the glue ?). After all was stuck on a wash of dark red and a bit of dry brushing yielded the results I wanted - so now with new roofs ....

6 comments:

  1. A spectacular improvement indeed!

    Then maybe you'd have obtained *almost* the same result by simply 'drawing' the tiles on the old roofs with a cutter - washing and drybrushing would have done a lot for a 'realistic' (contrasted / not too pristine) result?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice - I need some new buildings for my 40mm collection.

    Where did you get the cows from ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice improvement!
    I've done roofs that way. I find sticking all the bits on is one of those tasks that leave one's mind free to wander (or listen to a podcast or audiobook). And the result looks quite good.
    One shortcut I've read about but not tried is to cut long strips and notch the tiles/shingles in but don't cut them all the way through. But I'm happy to do them the "long-winded" way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tiling method uses individual, overlapping rows, rather than single tiles. What I do is cut a row about 50% wider than I want the tiles to appear, and draw the tiles on. Then with scizzors cut the tiles, but not through that extra 50%. Just to make the tiles more 'tile like', I snip off a tiny from the lower corners of each tile. Then glue on the entire row.


    You have to be pretty careful, as the cutting makes the row bow quite a bit, but it is easy enough to straighten out as you glue. This is also a 'bottom up' method, as the next row abouve overlaps and obscures the 50% margin you gave it.

    Finally the top row and ridge in made in one piece, and put on last, after all the other roof tiles have been completed. A few of the buildings pictured on my blogspot have been roofed in that way.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for info on other methods of doing tiles.

    The cows I've picked up from rummaging for ones that looked the right size at 'car boot' and Toy&Train fairs (some of the cows are converted bulls !). You could try the Britains Black & White Cows which are 1:32, they may be OK (possibly a bit large).

    -- Allan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roofing Contractor Protects our houses from Global Warming keeps our houses safe from the bad environment.

    ReplyDelete