Friday, 3 April 2009

New Heads for Old - Dragoon Conversion

At a recent Toy&Train fair there was a chap selling of some of his model soldier collection. After picking up some cheap Prince August casting metal, I spotted a bag of twelve 25mm riders (£3) - I thought they were just the thing to try out a replacement tricorne heads conversion. When I got home I had a quick look on the net to see what they were: 10 Old Glory napoleonic british lifeguards, a polish officer (Poniatowski ?) and one very odd figure. I put the odd figure into my melting pot bin, so I was left with the following:

First thing I did was cut off the old heads (and put them into my melting pot bin) . I had a spare OG officer so he was added to make up the number to 12. I had already cast some tricorne heads from my 40mm Creartec moulds, in the next picture you can see work in progress ..

The new heads fitted quite nicley on the OG bodies, the OG bugler was given a sword and his bugle used to convert the polish officer into a bugler...

To finish off the troopers were provided with with some Front Rank light horses, I also added some boot tops using green stuff. Here they are prancing about on their new horses ...

Next thing is to paint them up. Well into the painting queue they go .. don't know when they'll get to the top though !

7 comments:

  1. Always nice to see someone getting creative with conversions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you attach the new heads on the bodies? I have wanted to try some conversions myself. Thanks...Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. To attach the heads I used a dab of Evo-Stick impact adhesive on the top of the body and a dab of superglue on the base of the head; place head on body - the two glues seem to bond quite quickly.

    I've used the same method on other figures so far the heads are still on.

    -- Allan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive conversions!

    best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  5. those painting stands for cav. riders are cool...I always just did the figure and hores as a single unit but your method is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So no need to "pin" them or gaps to fill or conceal with greenstuff?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gave up pinning as too fiddy -glueing seems to work. I've found on my 40mm figs sometimes bit of green stuff is needed to fill a gap.

    -- Allan

    ReplyDelete